I can finally cross the Unicorn Cake from my to do list!!!
As you may have noticed there is an invasion of unicorns, definitely is the most trendy topic for birthdays, baby showers and even bridal showers and I understand why because they look really sweet and adorable.. and to be honest I am also in love with unicorns and I was crazy about making a Unicorn Cake.
So when my friend finally asked me to make a Unicorn Cake I was so happy that I was jumping around but I also thought that it was an excellent opportunity to give you a short tutorial about how to make the horn of the unicorn..but first some details about this cake:
- It was a 8″ vanilla cake with Dulce de Leche and Nutella filling and buttercream icing.
- It was covered and decorated with homemade marshmallows fondant.
- The mane was made using the 1M Wilton piping tip.
- The flowers were made using fondant cutters from this set.
- The name was made using the Wilton Alphabets and Numbers Cut-Outs set that you can find here.
- The eyes, the inner part of the ears and horn were made with homemade marshmallows fondant colored first in gray and later painted silver with this spray.
The process of making the horn was very easy, here I show you a couple of pictures tutorials so you can see how I made it:
- Roll out to pieces of tapered fondant about the length of a bamboo skewer.
- Twist the pieces together, I used water as a glue, and make sure that when you are twisting the horn is getting really tight.
- Cut to the desire length and paint silver, if you want to make a gold horn I recommend making the horn with yellow fondant.
- After the horn is completely dry insert to the cake using a bamboo stick…and that’s it!!!
As I mentioned before I can cross this cake out of my to do list but they are so beautiful and easy to make that I stay with the desire of doing more, more and more Unicorns Cakes..so I have to say this: welcome to my life Unicorns!!
Thank you for reading!!