I still don’t know the first person who after having seen the Great Gatsby movie was not impressed with the style that characterized the 20’s.
Apart from the majestic Art Deco style that was born with the 20’s, what most caught my attention was the fashion, where colors like black and gold, long pearl necklaces and large flowers were the distinctive elements of the glamour that predominated at the time, that are also perfect details to be reflected in a cake.
When I had the opportunity to make a Great Gatsby cake for a birthday party, these details were basic for this wonderful theme, also I took the time to do an easy tutorial about how to make a big flower, which can be used in any occasion to enhance your cake with an exquisite and elegant touch..but before the tutorial some details about this cake:
- It was a two tier 6″ and 8″ cake, both of them vanilla cake with Dulce de Leche filling and buttercream icing.
- The cake was covered and decorated with homemade marshmallows fondant except for the black fondant which was prefabricated.
- For the golden details I used homemade marshmallows fondant colored first in yellow and then painted gold with this spray.
- To make the number 30 cake topper I used this cookie cutter set.
- To make the borders and the necklace I used this silicone mold (one of my favorites and most used).
BIG FLOWER TUTORIAL
- You are going to need two 5 petal flower or rose cutters, one large and one small . Cut two flowers of each one.
- Place the flowers in a flower foam and using a ball tool smooth the edges to achieve a natural look of the petals.
- Stick the flowers to each other with water from largest to smallest order and let it dry on a flower shaping bowl or on any curved surface , for the center of the flower make a little fondant ball, flatten it and stick it to the center of the flower.
Here is a close-up of this extremely beautiful flower placed on the cake:
The cake was a great success and I guess that it was largely because of the elegant big flower detail in the decoration..please do this flower, you will see that it is very easy to make and the result is simply beautiful!!
Thanks for reading me, see you next time!!