We are in the middle of graduation season and for that reason I considered to make this short tutorial about how to make a graduation hat cake topper.
This tutorial is really easy to follow, you can make it without spending too much money because you don’t need a lot of materials to make it and the best of all is that is no time consuming..you can have it ready in 20 minutes!!
I made this cute graduation hat in black but you can always change it depending on the color you need.
So here we go, you’re going to need:
- Half round floral foam, you need to cut the round tip of the foam to achieve a flat surface and this way we make it easier to form the top of the hat.
- A piece of cake board cut into square shape.
- Black fondant.
- Using your fingers cover the entire surface of the foam and the cake board with shortening, this will be acting as a glue to stick the fondant.
- Cover with fondant and don’t forget to cover underneath to avoid the foam touching the surface of the cake directly, same thing with the cake board.
- Stick the covered cake board to the covered foam with water placing it in a diamond shape, let it dry for a couple of minutes.
- To make the tassel cut a piece of fondant into a rectangular shape, the size will depend on the size of your hat..this one was 10 x 4 cm.
- From the half to the bottom cut into strips and then roll pressing the top part at the same time.
- If necessary cut the tip of the tassel to eliminate protruding parts, if you plan to put any decoration like a button just squeeze the tip with your finger.
- Let it dry for a couple of minutes.
- Attach to the cake board with water an let it dry for a couple of minutes.
And here you have pictures of cakes that I have made using this graduation hat topper:
I hope that you enjoyed this tutorial, a cake with a graduation hat topper can be a wonderful gift for a friend or relative who is living this special moment in their life..give it a try, you’ll be surprise about how easy it is to make it, just don’t forget to put a little bit of PRACTICE and PATIENCE!!